POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fogs : Re: Fogs Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:39:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fogs
From: Slime
Date: 16 Jan 2002 11:21:07
Message: <3c45a873$1@news.povray.org>
> Depends on the effect you're trying to achieve. In general, I wouldn't
> use emission in this case because that's physically incorrect. Your
> best bet is a thin scattering media or semi-transparent fog.

Well, I was using emission to simulate scattered light without using
scattering, since scattering would require many, many samples (especially in
this scene) to keep from being grainy. Since I don't care about the
direction of the light or shadows, I figured emission would suffice.

It seems, however, that even if I have emission 100 and absorption .00001,
as the distance from the camera approaches infinity, the fog color becomes
black (absorption wins over emission). Could someone explain to me why this
is the case? I assume it's physically correct (even though it doesn't happen
with a simple fog declaration), but I'd still like to know why it happens.

If real fog consists only of absorption, then how come it doesn't become
black on the horizon? Or does it? (I live in a wooded area, so I can't tell
=)

- Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]
[ http://www.slimeland.com/images/ ]